Fahrenheit 451 Essay Contest Winners

This fall, Piedmont Arts and Patrick Henry Community College's Writing Center held an essay contest in conjunction with the museum's exploration of Ray Bradbury's dystopian novel, Fahrenheit 451. In 500 words or less, participants were asked to address the question:
If you could save one book of fiction from being burned in Fahrenheit 451, which book would it be and why?
Dozens of entries by local students and community members were received and Piedmont Arts is happy to announce with winners are Melody Margrave, an English teacher at Magna Vista High School and Hailey Turner, a student at Bassett High School. For her winning entry, Melody will receive two season tickets to Piedmont Arts' On Stage performing arts series and Hailey will receive two tickets to Piedmont Arts On Stage presents Roanoke Symphony Holiday Pops and a gift certificate to Daily Grind.

Read Melody and Hailey's essays below.
 ___________________________________________________________________________________________
Fahrenheit 451 Essay
Melody Margrave
English Teacher, Magna Vista High School
I can’t imagine living in a world without books because I love to read. At this stage in my life, I really enjoy reading mysteries and sharing my books with friends. I also get enjoyment out of hearing my students say they enjoyed a certain book. As devastating as it would be to see any book burned or thrown away, it would be hard for me to choose one book to save in a fire. Not being able to expose my students to writers like William Shakespeare, Ray Bradbury, and Mark Twain would be traumatic. Not being able to read for pleasure would be just as shattering – I enjoy my get-a-ways with mystery writers. However, if I had to choose one fiction book not to be destroyed by fire, I would choose the children’s book, Love You Forever by Robert Munsch.
 Most of you are wondering why an English teacher would choose such a simple children’s book, but it is a story of life that everyone should know. This book is fiction in that it is a cute children’s story about any mother and child’s love for each other; however, it is really quite true. Each of us can live it in our own lives. After my son was born, I would often give this book to an expectant mother as part of a baby gift.
“I’ll love you forever; I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.” When my son was little, we would read this book over and over again. Of course, it wasn’t just this book, but many, many books. Somehow, this book held a special place and is one that I have saved. Those words always tug at a mother’s heart when she looks at her small child. Each time I read the book to him, it was like a pledge that I’d always be there for him just like my parents are still there for me.

This brings me to the other reason this book would be one that I would save. My Mom has always been there for me. I think she loved reading the book to my son as much as I did. Now that my son is a teenager, we get to take care of my Mom. Unfortunately, she had a stroke almost two years ago and is in a nursing home in Gretna. My Dad is there every day helping her and we go on weekends. I paint her nails, comb her hair, help lift her to the wheelchair, make her chocolate pies, and try to explain things when she gets confused. Sometimes I’m her daughter; other times I’m her sister, Phyllis. When I read the book to my son as a small child, it was always a tearful ending but I never thought about living the end of the book. This book is a definite keeper in my heart. “I'll love you forever; I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living my Mommy you'll be.”
 ___________________________________________________________________________________________
Fahrenheit 451 Essay
Hailey Turner
Student, Bassett High School
Bright orange flames lit the room; thick smoke captivated the scorching air, suffocating me. “I only have enough time to pick one,” I thought to myself. I stretched in a direction that felt completely natural, swatting for the dark blue cover with the black and white clouds, an image that was etched into my brain. If I could only save one book from a fire, it would have to be John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars because it taught me life lessons, it made me think, and it made me feel like I was there alongside the characters. 
Firstly, while I was reading this book I learned major life lessons. The main characters, no matter what obstacle laid in front of them, always continued doing what they thought was necessary. One of the main characters, Augustus, went about daily life as a metaphor, like having cigarettes which were something that could end his life, but he didn’t give it the power to. They didn’t stop having fun because of their circumstances they had to live with and go through every day. They figured out that they didn’t have much time left and decided that they wanted to do everything that was important to them.

Next, The Fault in Our Stars made me think about what I was worrying about. During the book, the characters come to a conclusion that, “The marks humans leave are too often scars.”(331). To me this means that not everyone takes the chance to do something that would cause a huge change and impact a plethora of people because we freak out about all the wrong situations. Normally, I would have stressed over homework, tests, quizzes, grades, practices, games, and every tiny detail in between. After reading this book, I realized that I was worrying over all the wrong things. I shouldn’t have a panic attack over one test or grade or practice or game. I should just embrace life, love everything that I do, and turn something boorish into something exciting and fun.

Lastly, this book made me feel like I was there with the characters. While I was reading, I didn’t feel like I was reading about these fictional people. Hazel Grace and Augustus became my best friends. I was living this story with them, I was going through their issues right by their sides every step of the way. I became attached to these people who aren’t even real. We cried, laughed, smiled, and mourned the loss of special people together. They talked, while I listened and learned. I was drawn into the book and never wanted to leave it.

Over all, The Fault in Our Stars is a beautifully written book by John Green that has taught me lessons, made me think, and made me feel as if I was a part of the story. It has left a lasting impression on me, and I will not forget it anytime soon. What book would you save from a fire?

Comments

Popular Posts